Migrating a Doc-To-Help Project

Some of us collaborate on Doc-To-Help projects using Team Authoring, TFS, or SharePoint, but sometimes we simply need to transfer a project to a coworker or a client.  This is easy to do by simply sending them the entire project folder, but here are a few tips to make the transition easier.

Here is a typical project folder:

Transfer the project

By default, Doc-To-Help projects are stored in the following folder:
  • C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Doc-To-Help Projects
So when you give a colleague a project, they should drop the entire folder there. (This default location can be changed in Doc-To-Help by choosing File > Doc-To-Help Options > Files.)
Tip: If file size is an issue, you can delete the contents of all the Target folders before transferring the project (because your colleague can always build the projects again).

Transfer the Custom Templates and Themes

If a project has custom Word templates, and/or Themes, those need to be transferred also — just drop them into the appropriate folders.

Drop custom Word templates here (they will have a file extension of .dot):
  • Windows® 7/8 and Vista at: \\Users\ (user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates
  • Windows® XP at \\Documents and Settings\(user name)\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Themes are stored here, so drop them in the appropriate folder:

• C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Doc-To-Help Projects\Doc-To-Help\Themes\(name of output)\Themes

To make things quicker, you could just transfer the entire “Doc-To-Help” folder to your colleague. Then all they need to do is drop that folder into the “My Doc-To-Help Projects” folder (C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Doc-To-Help Projects).

Note: If your project uses Doc-To-Help’s built-in Editor and you edited the CSS to create a custom one, those changes are stored in the Project folder (in the CSSFiles folder), so they transfer along with the project.

Get Started

Once transferred, open the project using the Getting Started Wizard (click the button on the right to open):
  • Choose “Open an Existing Project” and select the project. (The file extension is .D2H).
  • Double-click on any document in the Documents Pane to begin editing.

Videos and Resources

There are several ways to get up to speed in Doc-To-Help very quickly.
See the blog post Doc-To-Help’s Learning Library for a complete list of learning resources.
This entry was posted in Doc-To-Help on by .

About Nicky Bleiel

I am the Lead Information Developer for Doc-To-Help and a Doc-To-Help trainer. I have 19 years of experience in technical communication; writing and designing information for software products in the documentation, media, industrial automation, simulation, and pharmaceutical industries. I am the President of the Society for Technical Communication and have presented talks at the STC Summit, WritersUA, tcworld, CIDM (Content Management Strategies/DITA North America), and LavaCon on many topics, including embedded help, tools and technologies, user assistance design, single sourcing, wikis, social media, agile, and convergence technical communication. I have been published in STC's Intercom, Tieline, STC conference proceedings, tcworld magazine, TechCom Manager Newsletter, and the WritersUA and the Content Wrangler websites. Additionally, I teach Technical Writing at the Community College of Allegheny County.

Leave a Reply